The department offers three undergraduate programs – a comprehensive chemistry track, medicinal chemistry and material chemistry. In addition, the department offers graduate programs including an original dissertation in a wide variety of disciplines such as medicinal, theoretical and computational, biological, organic and inorganic, physical and polymer chemistry, as well as nano-chemistry, and solar and renewable energies. Mission Statement of the Department the Chemistry department is determined to strive for excellence in teaching, mentoring and scientific research. These areas are inter-dependent and each plays a vital role in our overall mission. Stated briefly, our mission is as follows: We, the faculty, graduate students, and staff of the Chemistry Department, are committed to: Offering high-level education in the field of chemistry both to provide the foundation needed for advanced studies and/or bring students to an appreciation of the basic principles of chemistry; Providing the next generation of scientists with the necessary skills which will allow them to reach their full potential in academia and industry; Promoting high quality research in all branches of the chemical sciences.
On the one hand, chemistry forms the basis for the biotechnology and genetic engineering industries, to open new medicines, and to understand life processes at a molecular level. On the other hand, it serves as an essential pillar in the emerging field of nanotechnology, and in the microelectronics and electrooptics industries. All this in addition to the traditional uses in the established chemical industries. Evidence of the central and interdisciplinary nature of contemporary chemistry in general and of its performances in Israel in particular, are the four Nobel prizes for chemistry awarded in recent years to Israeli scientists, for discoveries with far-reaching consequences in biology, medicine, and physics. After the comprehensive refresh that took place in the last decade, during which about two-thirds of its members changed, the composition of the chemistry department at Ben-Gurion University faithfully reflects the dramatic change in the field.
The department has about 25 faculty members whose areas of interest and research cover all areas of modern chemistry and in particular the new directions of biophysical chemistry, nanotechnology, and environmental chemistry. The department has special ties with the chemical industries in the south of the country, including companies such as Israel Chemicals, Teva, Makhteshim, and Bromine Industries, leading companies in their fields that together made chemistry the main export industry of the State of Israel. The department maintains three main courses of study for a bachelor’s degree in synthetic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, and physical and nanometric chemistry in addition to prestigious tracks integrated with the departments of chemical engineering and computer science. Graduates of the department and graduates from other departments in Israel can participate in advanced research as part of the master’s and doctoral degree programs that include doing an original research work under the guidance of one of the faculty members.
The Department offers B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Chemical Engineering. The current academic staff consists of 11 full-time tenured members.
The Department of Chemical Engineering and the Department of Chemistry launched a joint undergraduate program with emphasis on nanotechnology. The students in this program are exposed to both the engineering and chemistry worlds, and they obtain B.Sc. degree from both departments. The Department of Chemical Engineering has an active program leading to M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees. The main aim of the program is to educate high-quality graduate students, who will be qualified to lead research & development in the chemical industry in the future.
The main current research areas of the Department are: Catalysis and reaction engineering; Polymeric materials science and engineering; Biotechnology and bio-medical engineering; Bio-Physics of the cell; Nanoscience and nanotechnology; Mesoscale macromolecular engineering interfaces in soft and condensed matter; Pollution prevention and waste treatment; Numerical methods and process simulation; Thermodynamics of multi-component systems; Separation technology; Supercritical fluid extraction and drying; Crystallization; Membranes; Energy storage and fuel cells; Heat and mass transfer; and Pyroelectricity.
The Institute of Chemistry was the first institute in the Faculty of Science and was founded (together with the Institute of Judaism) so as to emphasize the importance of natural science in general and that of chemistry in particular. After much debate on the character and form of the institute, it was decided to emphasize graduate research at the highest level and only on this basis to undertake undergraduate teaching. It was Prof. A. Fodor who in 1924 established the institute, a year before the official opening of the Hebrew University. In due course, departments were set up, such as the Dept of Organic Chemistry, under Prof. Moshe Weizmann in 1927, and at the same time the Dept of Inorganic Chemistry, founded by Prof. M. Bobtelsky. In 1935, when the well known Prof. L. Farkas joined the Hebrew University, the Dept of Physical Chemistry was founded as well. Among the leading proponents of the different research fields developed during the twenties and thirties of last century, many famous names can be found. To name a few: Profs. Frenkel and A.D. Bergmann in Organic Chemistry, Prof. G. Stein in Physical Chemistry, Profs. Kirson and Glazner in Inorganic Chemistry. The students, scientific grandchildren and great-grandchildren of these founding scholars are today the backbone of chemistry and its various branches at academic institutions and industry at large of the State of Israel.
The Institute brings together some 30 researchers from a range of disciplines relevant to drug development: • Medicinal Chemistry – The synthesis and isolation of new materials with biological activity; computerized design of new drugs and mechanisms of biological analysis of materials. • Pharmaceutical Sciences – New Approaches for the development and targeting of drugs (drug delivery), pre-clinical and clinical pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study, genetic therapy, development of innovative medicines and clinical pharmacology research. • Pharmacology – The investigation of the structure and function of drugs, the aging processes, mechanisms of allergy and diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer’s, neurodegenerative, brain damage, diabetes and addictions to drugs and alcohol, and developing new drugs for these pathologies.
It spans the full spectrum of disciplines within chemistry – physical, analytical, inorganic, organic, biochemical and theoretical – and overlaps the associated fields of physics, materials sciences, biology, medicine and electronics and nanotechnology. More than 2630 students have graduated from the Faculty of Chemistry, including more than 1691 bachelors, 543 masters and 398 doctors. To date, many of the faculty’s alumni hold leading positions in Israeli industry including its high-tech and defense sectors, universities and other educational institutions, as well as in various governmental and public research organizations.
Through the development of cutting-edge products and processes, our Technology Incubator will help assure ICL’s standing as a leading industrial company working to solve the global challenges, created by growing populations and increased environmental awareness. By embracing the Open Innovation approach, we will bring identify the best of the world’s innovation and harness the power of collaboration with scientists/entrepreneurs everywhere, to accelerate our growth. See Open Innovation. To this end, we seek early-stage innovative technologies, novel materials and cost-effective production processes that can be incorporated by ICL companies into their products in the areas of Water, Food, Energy, Fertilizers and Specialty Chemicals. Our main interest is in technologies, that correlate with ICL’s core activities, that make use of ICL’s primary source materials and represent ingenious approaches to issues faced by ICL companies. See Our Focus. The projects selected will benefit from ICL’s Innovation Incubator commercial and business support. Each project will be adopted by one of ICL’s subsidiaries, and will enjoy full financial and, development support over the long-term, both in the laboratory and in the field. See Resources. Our Open Innovation “Accelerator” augments our strong R&D organization, which is comprised of approximately 500 employees that work at IMI/TAMI (ICL’s central institute for R&D located in Haifa, Israel) and at our other R&D facilities located in Germany, Holland, the U.S. and Israel. See R&D at ICL. ICL Innovation invites great minds to make a difference!
The publications emanating from the school have among the highest impact on global chemical research, as demonstrated by the International Scientific Information – ISI, USA (Citation Impact Index). In addition to the quality of its outstanding staff, the school also has strong instrumentation support including NMR machines, mass spectrometers, sophisticated lasers and X-ray difractometers. Computational and theoretical research is supported by high power workstations, the university computation center and national supercomputers. Three excellent workshops in electronics, fine-mechanics and glass blowing provide essential support to the school’s research groups. There are about 90 graduate students studying toward their advanced degrees. The school’s undergraduate teaching laboratories are well equipped for organic, physical and chemical physics studies. The school is also known for its excellence in teaching. Many of the faculty are top rate teachers, as demonstrated by the frequent teaching awards the school receives. This is also reflected in the teaching polls conducted by the student organization each year. The personal care that every student receives from the academic and secretarial staff helps greatly during their studies. The school offers many research opportunities for students who wish to continue their studies toward further advanced degrees. There are three departments in the school: Chemical Physics, Organic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry. The scientific interest spans many areas including supramolecular chemistry, organic and organometallic synthesis and material science, magnetic resonance imaging, electrochemistry, marine chemistry, advanced cluster spectroscopy and chemistry, sophisticated analytical chemistry, quantum mechanical computations, fractal chemistry, molecular dynamics and many more.
Research in the Faculty covers a very broad spectrum, ranging from chemistry to physics and biology, from basic to applied science, from theory to experiment, and from the nanometric to the planetary scales. The Faculty research activity is interdisciplinary, covering a variety of subjects that include, for example, the study of magnetic resonance with potential applications for faster and more efficient imaging, organic and green chemistry with implications for a cleaner environment, biological physics and structural biology focused on understanding biological processes of critical importance, environmental studies that examine local and global processes relevant to our planet, light-matter interactions for better understanding of atoms and molecules, the study of soft and hard materials, and much much more. Two large Institute-wide programs are centered in the Faculty of Chemistry – the Weizmann Institute Nano Initiative (WINI) and the Alternative Energy Research Initiative (AERI). Both initiatives encompass researchers from other faculties, but the focal point is in chemistry, underscoring the key role of chemistry in modern science. The faculty is organized in five scientific departments: Organic Chemistry, Structural Biology, Materials and Interfaces, Chemical Physics, and Earth and Planetary Sciences. In addition, the Department of Chemical Research Support is responsible for the scientific infrastructure and operation of modern research facilities for the benefit of the entire Institute.
Despite its young age, the department already has a strong multidisciplinary character. Its core activities are designed to rationally employ the tools of advanced Organic and Inorganic synthesis in modern biochemical, pharmacological and advanced material strategies for the development of new biologically active compounds as well as novel and state-of-the-art technologies in drug discovery and material science. Our eight faculty members are making great strides to generate and disseminate new knowledge and original concepts in chemistry through creative research and scholarship. Our department is accredited to bestow the degree of Bachelor of Sciences, B.Sc.
The department’s faculty members are responsible for the chemistry course curricula in the tracks leading towards a B.Sc. degree in the programs in the Faculty of Natural Science, Faculty of Engineering and School of Health Sciences. The central enquiry point is the Admissions Office (Tel: 03-9066631; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org), which administers graduate applications within the Department.
All the members of our staff will be pleased to answer questions about their research interests by telephone or e-mail; individual telephone numbers and e-mail addresses are given on their respective web pages, which can be accessed from our homepage: www.ariel.ac.il/chemistry/. The Biological Chemistry Department offers an exciting program of research orchestrated by a dynamic group of faculty members and more than 20 graduates and Ph.D. students using our state- of-the-art facilities. The Department offers a wide variety of services including a library, the chemical store, electronics and computing facility, the NMR lab, the Mass Spectrometry facility (GC-MS), FTIR/UV lab and analytical equipment. In addition, we offer advanced courses of specialty areas reflecting the research interests of our faculty. One of them is the drug synthesis lab, where students synthesize and characterize a true drug employing all needed analytical and spectral equipment. AUC is the only institution in Israel where such an advanced course takes place.
Atoms, small molecules and macromolecules are the building blocks of everything we know –
animate and inanimate. At Ariel our faculty members employ the tools of advanced organic
and inorganic synthesis for applications spanning modern biochemistry, pharmacology and
advanced materials to develop of new biologically-active compounds, as well as novel and
state-of-the-art technologies in drug discovery, material science and green chemistry. The
department focuses on several research areas, including:
Theoretical, organic, bioorganic, medicinal, organometallic, inorganic, bioinorganic, and
physical chemistry as well as electrochemistry, green chemistry and chemistry of materials.
“The measure of a department is the success of its students”. Keeping this in mind, we
educate the next generation of scientists, striving to the highest standards in teaching and
Our department offers an exciting BSc program, including a general chemistry track, a
medicinal chemistry track, a green chemistry track and a wine and chemistry track. Our
students receive broad training that prepares them for careers in industry or advanced
studies and research.
In addition to our 13 faculty members, the department has approximately 40 graduate
students and 15 postdoctoral fellows, 4 part-time lecturers, and 3 staff members.
The Department of Chemical Sciences at Ariel enjoys strong ties to the chemical industry
boosting career opportunities for our students.
ICL produces approximately a third of the world’s bromine, and is the sixth largest potash producer, as well as the leading provider of pure phosphoric acid. It is a major manufacturer of specialty fertilizers and specialty phosphates, flame retardants and water treatment solutions. ICL’s mining and manufacturing activities are located in Israel, Europe, the Americas and China, and are supported by global distribution and supply networks.
The agricultural products that ICL produce help to feed the world’s growing population. The potash and phosphates that it mines and manufactures are used as ingredients in fertilizers and serve as an essential component in the pharmaceutical and food additives industries; The food additives that it produces enable people to have greater access to more varied and higher quality food; ICL’s water treatment products supply clean water to millions of people as well industry around the world; and other substances, based on bromine and phosphates help to create energy that is more efficient and environmentally friendly, prevent the spread of forest fires and allow the safe and widespread use of a variant of products and materials.
The foundation of our success, and at the heart of Teva, is our vision to be the most indispensable medicines company for the world, executing on our obligation to our patients, customers, shareholders and employees.
Established in 1901, today we rank among the 10 top pharmaceutical companies in the world. Headquartered in Israel, Teva is active in 60 countries, with over 46,400 dedicated employees worldwide.
Established in 1901, today we rank among the 10 top pharmaceutical companies in the world. Headquartered in Israel, Teva is active in 60 countries, with over 46,400 dedicated employees worldwide.
As a forward-looking global pharmaceutical company, Teva spearheads the development, production and marketing of a wide range of specialty medicines, generic and OTC products, active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) and novel new therapeutic entities.
Following our vision, we pursue robust organic growth. This strategy is complemented by key alliances with exemplary partners. We extend our presence into new markets and add selectively to our capabilities. We balance investment in growth with return to our investors. We commit ourselves to challenging the unmet medical, societal and patient needs of the day.
In every single action, we follow our guiding values of Integrity, Respect, Collaboration, Excellence and Leadership. These values embody the nature of how Teva operates. They enable us to bring safe and effective medicines to the world through the quality of our people, and of our products. They are the foundation of our commitment to patients, and of our unceasing dedication to making a difference.
The firm takes a lot of pride in its lead Attorney’s Permanence – they have been working together, collaborating when multidisciplinary calls, for nearly 15 years.
The technical depth of the firm and the industrial and academic experience of the key patent attorneys enables our attorneys to get to the heart of the technical and business aspects of the client’s R&D and product line so that it can provide the protection that the client needs and to which the client is entitled.
The firm provides clear, highly competitive costs with no hidden charges. It encourages close contact with clients such as regular face-to-face meetings, which are free of charge. The firm is up-to-date and attuned to the latest innovative tactics and understands the complexities of a wide variety of inter-disciplinary issues ranging from international case law to the novel and diverse developments emerging in the technological arena. The firm also deals with all other patent and trade mark offices through our extensive network of associate attorneys in each country and territory throughout the world. The firm invests in the latest IT systems to increase efficiency and to produce cost savings which are passed on to our clients. Ehrlich & Fenster is experienced in handling last-minute filings. Each such filing provides a product of high standard. Projects are budgeted in a flexible manner thereby enabling applications to be filed, which may have potential commercial value in the future, but would not otherwise be cost-justified at normal hourly rates.
Key clients include all the major universities and medical and research institutes in Israel such as Ramot at Tel-Aviv University Ltd.; Yeda Research And Development Co. Ltd. at the Weizmann Institute of Science; Yissum Research Development Company of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem Ltd.; Technion Research & Development Foundation Ltd.; and Ben-Gurion University of the Negev Research and Development Authority.
The Company supplies efficient solutions to farmers across the full farming value-chain, including crop-protection, novel agricultural technologies, and complementary non-crop businesses. In 2013, the Company’s revenues were over $3 billion, and it is ranked seventh in the world in the overall agro-chemicals industry. The Company is characterized by its innovation, farmer-centric approach to product development, and strict standards of environmental protection and quality control.
At the end of 2006, Paz became a public company whose shares are traded on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange and it is listed on the TASE’s flagship Tel Aviv-25 (Maof) index, which tracks the shares of the 25 companies with the highest market capitalization on the bourse.
The Group engages in the refining, production, storage, importing and marketing of fuel products. In addition to its refinery in Ashdod, Paz has fuel product storage and distribution terminals and a network of hundreds of filling stations, convenience stores and retail complexes.
The Paz Group integrates a variety of activities in the domestic market, including the sale of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), the production and marketing of lubricants and chemicals, bitumen sheets and sealants for the construction and infrastructure sectors, jet fuel and more. The Group’s primary advantage is its vertical structure that encompasses the entire value chain. The purchase of the Ashdod refinery, the Group’s ownership of hundreds of retail outlets and its sophisticated operating methods facilitate long-term logistic planning and optimal synergy among all the divisions.
The Group’s financial resilience, combined with advanced work methods, a highly developed service orientation and the ability to zero in on marketing opportunities, have positioned Paz as Israel’s top energy company, with a reputation for professionalism and leadership.
Modern facilities enable Bazan to produce a large variety of oil refinery products for industry, transport, agriculture, infrastructures and domestic consumption. Bazan has a maximum daily production capacity of approximately 26,600 tons of oil (197,000 barrels). More than 70% of the Company’s products are distributed in the domestic market, while the remainder is destined primarily for the eastern Mediterranean.
The Bazan Group comprises three industrial companies operating in Israel primarily in the production of petroleum products, polymers used as raw materials in the plastics industry, aromatics compounds for the chemicals and petrochemicals industry. The Group’s plants operate synergistically and the plants of the subsidiaries constitute an extension of Bazan’s facilities. This allows Bazan to optimize the output of the refinery facilities, while producing petroleum alongside various other products as well as petrochemical products. As a result of the integrated management of the facilities, Bazan is able to increase its profit margin and create cost efficiency. The Company also supplies power services to industrial customers in the Haifa Bay area as well as infrastructure services (storage and transportation of fuel products).
Through the development of cutting-edge products and processes, our Technology Incubator will help assure ICL’s standing as a leading industrial company working to solve the global challenges, created by growing populations and increased environmental awareness. By embracing the Open Innovation approach, we will bring identify the best of the world’s innovation and harness the power of collaboration with scientists/entrepreneurs everywhere, to accelerate our growth. See Open Innovation. To this end, we seek early-stage innovative technologies, novel materials and cost-effective production processes that can be incorporated by ICL companies into their products in the areas of Water, Food, Energy, Fertilizers and Specialty Chemicals. Our main interest is in technologies, that correlate with ICL’s core activities, that make use of ICL’s primary source materials and represent ingenious approaches to issues faced by ICL companies. See Our Focus. The projects selected will benefit from ICL’s Innovation Incubator commercial and business support. Each project will be adopted by one of ICL’s subsidiaries, and will enjoy full financial and, development support over the long-term, both in the laboratory and in the field. See Resources. Our Open Innovation “Accelerator” augments our strong R&D organization, which is comprised of approximately 500 employees that work at IMI/TAMI (ICL’s central institute for R&D located in Haifa, Israel) and at our other R&D facilities located in Germany, Holland, the U.S. and Israel.
All of the production processes are nonpolluting; materials are recycled, and the gases resulting from the processes are burnt in specially designed ovens. Thus, a double benefit is attained: minimal pollution of the air, and savings in energy.
Similar actions are taken with production by-products, where they are entirely reprocessed for additional uses. In addition, all of the plants are connected to a flare in order to absorb them in case of breakdown.
The storage facilities in the plant were designed and built according to the strictest demands and standards.
IUPAC was formed in 1919 by chemists from industry and academia. Over nearly eight decades, the Union has succeeded in fostering worldwide communications in the chemical sciences and in uniting academic, industrial and public sector chemistry in a common language. IUPAC has long been recognized as the world authority on chemical nomenclature, terminology, standardized methods for measurement, atomic weights and many other critically evaluated data. The Union continues to sponsor major international meetings that range from specialized scientific symposia to CHEMRAWN meetings with societal impact. During the Cold War, IUPAC became an important instrument for maintaining technical dialogue among scientists throughout the world. IUPAC is an association of bodies, National Adhering Organizations, which represent the chemists of different member countries. The work of IUPAC is done almost entirely by approximately 1400 volunteer scientists from many countries who serve on committees, subcommittees, and task groups. IUPAC’s scientific work is conducted largely under a formal project system, in which proposals from chemists worldwide are peer-reviewed and, if meritorious, are approved and supported. See IUPAC Biennial Report 2008-09 (pdf)This report lists IUPAC’s six long-range goals and illustrates the actions taken during the last two years toward meeting those goals.
History: IUPAC was formed in 1919 by chemists from industry and academia, who recognized the need for international standardization in chemistry. The standardization of weights, measures, names and symbols is essential to the wellbeing and continued success of the scientific enterprise and to the smooth development and growth of international trade and commerce. This desire for international cooperation among chemists and facilitation of the work of the international, but fragmented, chemistry community were the earliest characteristics of the Union. Even before the creation of IUPAC (1919), a predecessor body, the International Association of Chemical Societies (IACS), had met in Paris in 1911 and produced a set of proposals for the work that the new Association should address. These included: Nomenclature of inorganic and organic chemistry; Standardization of atomic weights; Standardization of physical constants; Editing tables of properties of matter; Establishing a commission for the review of work; Standardization of the formats of publications; Measures required to prevent repetition of the same papers. Although 1911 might now seem an early date for chemists to start talking about the possibility of and need for international collaboration and standardization, the first international attempt at organizing organic chemical nomenclature — the Geneva Nomenclature of 1892 — grew out of a series of international meetings, the first of which was organized by Kekulé in 1860.
EuCheMS has 41 member societies which together represent more than 150,000 chemists in academia, industry, government and professional organizations in 31 countries across Europe. EuCheMS has several Divisions and Working Groups which cover all areas of chemistry and bring together world class expertise in the underpinning science and development needed for innovation. We would especially like to invite you to browse the information on our Divisions and Working Parties, covering all areas of chemistry, and our Events where everyone is welcome. EuCheMS is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1970.EuCheMS is an Associated Organization of IUPAC. EuCheMS incorporates the role and responsibilities of the former Federation of European Chemical Societies and Professional Institutions (FECS) which adopted the name EuCheMS in 2004.
Individual chemists in the Asia Pacific may become individual members of the Federation.The general objective of the Federation is to promote the advancement and appreciation of chemistry and the interests of professional chemists in the Asia Pacific.Membership of the Federation is open to all not-for-profit chemical societies whose membership consists largely of individual qualified chemists and which are national professional chemical societies of countries and territories in the Asia Pacific. Individual membership is open to individual chemists from the Asia Pacific. Individual membership from countries and territories that have societies within the Federation will be restricted to individuals who are members of such a society.
A nonprofit organization, chartered by Congress, ACS is at the forefront of the evolving worldwide chemical enterprise and the premier professional home for chemists, chemical engineers and related professions around the globe.
Our Mission and Vision: We are dynamic and visionary, committed to “Improving people’s lives through the transforming power of chemistry. “This vision – developed and adopted by the ACS Board of Directors after broad consultation with the membership – fully complements the ACS Mission statement, which is “to advance the broader chemistry enterprise and its practitioners for the benefit of Earth and its people.” Together, these two statements represent our ultimate reason for being and provide a strategic framework for our efforts.
What We Do: The Society publishes numerous scientific journals and databases, convenes major research conferences and provides educational, science policy and career programs in chemistry. We also give more than $22 million every year in grants for basic research in petroleum and related fields. We also play a leadership role in educating and communicating with public policy makers and the general public about the importance of chemistry in our lives. This includes identifying new solutions, improving public health, protecting the environment and contributing to the economy.
With 49,000 members and a worldwide knowledge business that spans the globe, we are the UK’s professional body for chemical scientists; a not-for-profit organization with 170 years of history and an international vision for the future. We promote, support and celebrate chemistry. We work to shape the future of the chemical sciences – for the benefit of science and humanity.
The GDCh supports chemistry in teaching, research and application and promotes the understanding of chemistry in the public. The society, a registered charity, was founded in 1949 but builds on a long tradition that began in 1867 when its first predecessor organization, the Deutsche Chemische Gesellschaft was founded in Berlin.
The Société Chimique de France is a recognized association of public utility whose vocation is to structure, animate and embody the network bringing together any natural or legal person concerned by the chemical sciences and their developments according to 3 axes.
Later, it was renamed The Tokyo Chemical Society, and eventually given the present English name of “The Chemical Society of Japan.” In 1948, it merged with the Society of Chemical Industry, founded in 1898. Thus, the CSJ has a history encompassing 130 years, with a current membership exceeding 34,000, and is one of the most affluent academic societies in Japan, covering most areas of pure and applied chemistry. It has contributed and circulated the results of chemical research to chemists and industry throughout the world. The prime mission of the CSJ is to promote chemistry for science and industry in collaboration with other domestic and global societies. Above all, the overriding purpose of the Society is to contribute to the betterment of human life. To pursue these missions, the Society holds various academic conferences, lecture meetings and publishes journals and books. Today, the world shares common pressing issues, interests relating to energy, food, environmental problems, safety, human health and education, which require a rapid exchange of information in every field of research with other countries. The CSJ has a long history in chemical education and in its outreach program to the public. These activities have recently been redoubled to heighten public awareness, and to stress the importance of chemistry’s role in solving the many problems besetting people and the environment today.